Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Off to the Land of the Long White Cloud



I never enter competitions, especially the ones where you have to write 25 words or less. But early last year, just after the flood, I saw an online competition to "Win a Break in the Art Deco Capital of the World" and I was really intrigued. I love all kinds of art deco. Art deco furniture, art deco jewellery, art deco architecture, art deco art...you get the idea. So, not only did I enter, I actually put some thought into my entry.


My Mum once told me that the way to win one of these types of competitions is to write a poem or limerick. So this is what I entered:


Lost my house in the flood,  
Get me away from the mud.  
This endless rain,  
Is sending me insane.  
I'd be so much happier,  
If you sent me to Napier

Cheesy hey? Well, it won!!! From 3,000 entries I won a trip for 2 to Napier, a coastal town in New Zealand that was completely destroyed by a massive earthquake in 1931 and the entire town was rebuilt in the art deco style of those times.

The trip included flights, accommodation in a seaside hotel, entry to the local attractions and some spending money for meals. Awesome!! The prize was supposed to be taken by August last year, but I was really busy with some events and a bit restricted by school holidays as Josh was coming as my plus one, so these Easter holidays are the first chance I've had.

So I'm off...to the land of the Long White Cloud.